Health disparities and the opioid epidemic
New Special Issue: Addressing long overdue social and structural determinants of the opioid overdose crisis
Dr. Nabila El-Bassel and colleagues produced a Special Issue just published in Drug and Alcohol Dependence on health disparities and the opioid epidemic. The Special Issue includes 18 papers exploring structural racism, COVID-19, evictions, incarceration, and more.
Dr. El-Bassel assembled a diverse group of experts from universities across the country to contribute, with academic backgrounds as diverse as the topics. The Special Issue is called "Addressing long overdue social and structural determinants of the opioid overdose crisis."
The Special Issue also includes a paper by several members of the SIG and Healing Communities Study (HCS) team: Using community engagement to implement evidence-based practices for opioid use disorder: A data-driven paradigm & systems science approach.
The list of publications follow, which can also be accessed and downloaded here.
Drug and Alcohol Dependence, Special Issue 2021
- Addressing long overdue social and structural determinants of the opioid epidemic. Nabila El-Bassel 1, Steven Shoptaw 2, David Goodman-Meza 3, Hiromi Ono 4https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108679
- To end the opioid crisis, we must address painful social disparities Nora D. Volkow. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108678 ( attached paper)
- Structural racism and violence as social determinants of health: Conceptual, methodological and intervention challenges. Ricky N. Bluthenthal. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108681 ( attached paper)
- A glass half empty or a glass half full? Addressing the opioid crisis through the lens of COVID-19. Steffanie A. Strathdee. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108680 ( attached paper)
- Race, pain, and opioids among patients with chronic pain in a safety-net health system. NimahHaqa1, Vanessa M.McMahana, AndreaTorresa, Glenn-MiloSantosab, KellyKnightb, MargotKushelb, Phillip O.Coffinab https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108671 [Article]
- Race and satisfaction with pain management among patients with HIV receiving long-term opioid therapy. Anisha P.Gangulya, Marlene C.Lirab, SaraLodic, Leah S.Formand, Jonathan A.Colasantief, Emily C.Williamsgh, Jane M.Liebschutzi, Carlosdel Rioef, Jeffrey H.Sametbjk, Judith I.Tsuilhttps://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108662
- “I felt like I had a scarlet letter”: Recurring experiences of structural stigma surrounding opioid tapers among patients with chronic, non-cancer pain. Allyn Benintendi a, Sarah Kosakowski a, Pooja Lagisetty b,c, Marc Larochelle a, Amy S. B. Bohnert c,d, Angela R. Bazzi e,f,* https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108664
- Associations between opioid misuse and social relationship factors among American Indian, Alaska Native, and Native Hawaiian college students in the U.S. a , F. Madden b , Rona Bern a, Nasim Parsinejad a, Christina A. Porucznik a , Venner c, Kevin Englishd https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108667
- Quantifying opioid use disorder Cascade of Care outcomes in an American Indian tribal nation in Minnesota. Thaius Boyd a,*, Jordan Stipek a, Alex Kraft a, Judge Muskrat b, Kevin A. Hallgren c, Clinton Alexander d, Brenna Greenfield a https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108661
- Opioid misuse and family structure: Changes and cont he role of marriage and children over two decades. Alexander Chapman a,*, Ashton M. Verdery a, Shannon M. Monnat b https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108668
- Socially-supportive norms and mutual aid of people who use opioids: An analysis of Reddit during the initial COVID-19 pandemic. Amanda M. Bunting a,*, David Frank b, Joshua Arshonsky c, Marie A. Bragg c,d, Samuel R. Friedman e, Noa Krawczyk e https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108672
- The influence of social relationships on substance use behaviors among pregnant women with opioid use disorder. Dena Asta a,b,*, Alex Davis c, Tamar Krishnamurti d, Leah Klocke e, Walitta Abdullah e, Elizabeth E. Krans e,fhttps://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108665
- Conceptualizing stigma in contexts of pregnancy and opioid misuse: A qualitative study with women and healthcare providers in Ohio. Jennifer L. Syvertsen a,b,*, Hannah Toneff a,c, Heather Howard d, Christine Spadola d, Danielle Madden e,f, John Clapp e,f https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108677
- Opioid pain medication misuse, concomitant substance misuse, and the unmet behavioral health treatment needs of transgender and gender diverse adults. Jaclyn M.W. Hughto a,b,c,d, Arjee J. Restar e, Hill L. Wolfe f,g, Lily K. Gordon h, Sari L. Reisner d,i,j,k, Katie B. Biello a,b,c,d, Sean R. Cahill d,l, Matthew J. Mimiaga d,m,n,o,* https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108674
- Voting with their feet: Social factors linked with treatment for opioid use disorder using same-day buprenorphine delivered in California hospitals. Mariah M. Kalmin a,*, David Goodman-Meza a,b, Erik Anderson c, Ariana Abid a, Melissa Speener d, Hannah Snyder d,e, Arianna Campbell d,f, Aimee Moulin d,g, Steve Shoptaw a, Andrew A. Herring c,d https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108673
- Navigating post-eviction drug use amidst a changing drug supply: A spatially-oriented qualitative study of overlapping housing and overdose crises in Vancouver, Canada. Ryan McNeil a,b,c,d,*, Taylor Fleming e,f, Alexandra B. Collins g, Sandra Czechaczek e, Samara Mayer e,f, Jade Boyd e,h https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108666
- Does incarceration influence patients’ goals for opioid use disorder treatment? A qualitative study of buprenorphine treatment in jail. William Vail a,c,*, Elissa Faro b, Dana Watnick b, Jonathan Giftos c, Aaron D. Fox a https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108529
- Using community engagement to implement evidence-based practices for opioid use disorder: A data-driven paradigm & systems science approach. Nabila El-Bassel a,*, Louisa Gilbert a, Tim Hunt a, Elwin Wu a, Emmanuel A. Oga b, Trena I. Mukherjee c, Aimee N.C. Campbell d, Nasim Sabounchi e, Damara Gutnick f, Robin Kerner a, Kamilla L. Venner g, David Lounsbury f, Terry T.K. Huang e, Bruce Rapkin f https://doi.org/10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2021.108675